Saturday, November 27, 2010

stencil making

this is what i want the final piece to look like. this is an overhead projection onto the wall in my studio where i hung the paper layout of the piece.



i have all my tiles made and ready to go, so the next step is to make the photo resist. this process has taken me a little while to get set up for. in the end i needed a plumber to install a new tap in the bathroom and to lengthen the hose on the spray gun, but finally earlier this week i made the stencils.



the process is simple, you expose the blue film with the image you want in front of it for a few seconds, then wash out the unexposed part. i needed to make 31 more stencils for the piece. you need to do this process in the dark, but since i can't dark out my bathroom easily i waited until it was dark at 9pm to start. i worked non stop and finished the last one at 1 am. that is why i look a bit sleepy.



this is what my kitchen area looked like the next day with all my stencils laying out the dry.



from here these stencils are fragile and need to be kept dust free so they stick to the glass.



the next step is sandblasting. i did that following day and it took me 11 hours to layout and sandblast all 31 tiles for the piece. there are no photos of that because it was kind of boring just me and the sandblaster.


1 comment:

Julie said...

It is so thrilling to see you as you go through each step! I am amazed at how so much of it is done at your house!!! The final peice is amazing (on paper)...I love it. Can't wait to see it all finished!!!