Sunday, October 17, 2010

sargasso cylinders

i have been busy in the glass studio making some cylinders with sargasso green on the inside and white on the outside. these cylinders will be transformed into the main piece in my exhibition.



i need a total of 33 cylinders to make this one piece for my show, and there is still a lot of work ahead.



each cylinder after it is blown gets the bottom of it cut off with a diamond saw. then it gets cut in half to make 2 shorter cylinders.



this is them without any bottoms, and cut to half the height.



then using the diamond saw i cut them in half down the side.




this leaves me with curved rectangles of glass that are sargasso green on one side and white on the other. from here they go in the kiln and get heated up until they slump flat.

more on the next steps as i do them, so far i only have 16 of these tiles cut, i get 4 from each cylinder, and need 130 so i have many more blowing and sawing sessions ahead of me.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Is this the easiest way to make a flat square or rectangle out of glass? I am curious at your technique here...I am not a glass maker and just am wondering why you wouldn't just make flat panes and cut them to size. This is very interesting and I love seeing what all you are doing!!! Best wishes with completing your exhibition!!! Can't wait to see the completed peice you are making....very exciting!!! Oh, I really love that color of green on the insides of the cylinders!!!

dark cloud said...

the short answer is yes this is the easiest way to make flat glass and not just buy it.