Sunday, May 2, 2010

scrap quilt

from my first proper quilt i had lots of left over fabric. some of it was already cut into the brick shape i used in my last quilt. i wanted to use up all my left over fabric from the first project before i allow myself to buy new fabric for my next proper quilt. more on that project later.




i laid out all my fabric bricks on the floor and filled in spaces in between with smaller bricks, and arranged the fabric into pleasing rows.



once i stitched up the rows i played with the layout and decided it would be nice to make it slightly larger by adding in some contrasting strips. these long strips were made from scraps to the backing of my first quilt.



i also had enough of this fabric to make a border around the quilt. once i had this done and sewed together i went to the quilt shop around the corner and to get the wadding and backing. i found the backing fabric on sale but it was slightly too small so i bought a complimentary solid for the back as well, making it an almost reversible quilt now.



as the woman in the quilt shop said basically this was a free quilt. although i did need to buy the wadding, binding and backing, it was still much cheaper compared to the expense i had when i bought the front fabrics originally.

all that is left to do is quilt it together and then put on the binding edges. it should be a nice size for watching a movie. thanks to borris for being my quilt model for these photos.

2 comments:

n_cholewa said...

poor Boris! ;-)

Lindsay said...

I love it! I really like the fabric, it makes me want to buy more but I have an obscene amount sitting in my basement waiting to be made into something so I will have to wait! And nice work John on the modeling, I can tell you've been practicing!